‘Resilience’ is our ability to handle pressure, or stress in a work or any other environment and be able to restore and recover from it in both the short and long term.
It is helpful to think of stress as ‘dirt’ on the inside of the body. Just like the outside of the body it needs to be ‘cleaned’. If left to its own devices it builds, festers and causes disease, just like dirt on the outside of the body.
The figures on the debilitating effect of mental health problems (mainly anxiety and depression) in the workplace are starting and somewhat scary:
- Mental health problems account for the loss of over 91 million working days each year, costing the UK economy nearly £1bn annually.
- It has been estimated that nearly 10 per cent of the UK’s gross national product (GNP) is lost each year due to job generated stress.
- Nearly three in every ten employees will have a mental health problem in any one year, the great majority of which will be anxiety and depressive disorders.
MIND week report, May 2005
Matt’s approach to Resilience is unique. It goes on the premise that everyone is different. We all see situations differently. One persons stress is another persons challenge. One may thrive on giving a large presentation. Another person may wake in cold sweats for weeks prior to it. Another may not get affected at all. My resilience training does not ask you to change your personality or to have to see things differently.
Equally not all situations can be avoided. We do have to deal with irate people, poor managers, unruly children, or problems that hit us out of the blue.
Environments can’t always be changed. Fiscal constraints sometimes mean that we can’t have relaxation and creative thinking rooms or access to occupational health teams. Some people have to work in difficult and dangerous locations. Some can’t always rely on the support of colleagues, because they work alone for much of their job.
Matt’s resilience training gives you the power to manage your own stress levels, irrespective of your environment, the situation or the level of support around you. Even if you work alone.
Resilience first begins with people knowing what stress is, and what it feels like. Then you learn how to detect when it is building. Simple tools are then shown in how to relax and release the stress using simple breathing techniques. These techniques help you in the build up to a stressful situation such as a deadline or negotiation, during it and in restoring you afterwards.
For many people just knowing what relaxation feels like is a revelation. In our modern era most people just don’t know how it feels to be relaxed. The investment is worth it purely for this element of the training.
Benefits of this resilience training
By the end of the programme you will be able to:
- Understand the personal and professional implications of stress and the benefits of resilience.
- Learn how to relax.
- Learn to detect stress and stressful situations.
- Learn simple breathing techniques that can be applied by anyone, anytime, anywhere, to remove stress from the body.
- Learn to restore yourself from the effects of stress, leaving you ‘clean’ and ready for the next challenge.
Who will benefit from this training
- Those responsible for teams and individuals looking to improve the resilience of their workforce.
- Those looking to improve the productivity of their teams.
- People in high pressure and high risk environments wanting to help people deal with setbacks or failures more productively and ‘bounce back faster’
I offer Resilience at Work as a 1 day course. However, if this doesn’t fit your needs I am happy to discuss your specific goals and to work with you to put together a bespoke programe.
Matt is a full time coach and teacher in wellness, crisis management training, bush-craft, and self-defence. He lived in Japan for over 2 years from the age of 19 in a traditional Aikido Dojo. He was a Captain in the Parachute Regiment, worked in corporate crisis management for 5 years and is a certified ‘Systema’ Instructor under the world famous Vladimir Vasiliev.
Matt delivers training in Resilience to companies and individuals across the world.
“Resilience is basically talking about the elasticity in our system’s ability to cope with adversity or stress. Whether it is family, work, sport, performance, financial or more likely a combination of them all, resilience training can help you excel in all areas of your life.”
Contact Matt on 07584025206 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to give you and your teams skills that will benefit them for the rest of their lives.