Everyone wants to know how to be more relaxed. More at ease. Unfortunately like most things this takes some effort. It is a bit of a paradox.
It is useful to educate and train yourself in the art of relaxation.
A good method is to stress yourself under controlled conditions. One way to do this is with a simple breath hold. There are many varieties of these in Systema.
A useful variation is to do a breath hold whilst doing exercise.
What comes next is the crucial part:
You go straight into learning how to properly relax and restore yourself after the breath hold exercise.
This gives your psyche and your body the knowledge, skill and therefore the confidence that you can feel very stressed, and then within seconds bring yourself back to full recovery.
You begin to understand this deeply and intuitively though a gradual progression of the exercise. Done properly it can take over 30 mins, as I explain in the video below. It is a tough exercise, but It will reveal deep lessons and great benefits to you.
Several variations on this theme can be used in Systema:
- Breath holds.
- Physical endurance.
- Physical contact and pressure.
- Exposure to things that scare us.
The result is a deep and rounded understand of your stressors, a sensitivity to the effect that they have on you and the knowledge of how to restore yourself to a relaxed state.
The key is that it is all is done with full consciousness of your psyche and physical state through the connecting thread of your breathing.
In summary the key benefits are that :
- The level of your relaxed state deepens.
- Your length of time in which you can maintain the level of relaxation in everyday life expands and;
- The speed with which you can consciously relax yourself increases.
There is real magic and power in the simplicity and ‘anytime anywhere’ accessibility of these tools.
It is 6 mins long. The first four minutes detail the exercise, and the second part answers a question on overcoming doubts.
I am teaching three upcoming courses over the next few weeks and months. I hope to see you around!
- May 19th – Marple Systema Course. Contact Chris Wallace for details.
- June 8-9 Aboyne (Scottish Highlands) Systema Course. Contact Steve Murphy for details.
- July 3-7 Wiltshire 5 Day Intensive Camp. Click here for details.
If you enjoyed this post you may want to sign up to my weekly newsletters (this was taken from there) here.
My very best wishes for your training and health as always,